Friday 18 February 2011

17th - 19th February. En route London-Sydney

I am on my way to Auckland in a Boeing 747. Quantas Flight QF2 departed London Heathrow roughly on time at around 2200 on Thursday 17th February. I have a wonderful seat. I am in premium economy class and have all the legroom in the world as I am by an emergency exit. The seat is comfortable and wide. I have been given my menu and, as far as I can see, I get two dinners and two breakfasts. Proper cutlery too, none of that plastic stuff!

So far I have had a glass of Rose before boarding, a glass of champagne on arrival in seat and a glass of red with my meal. That, together with a sleeping pill should surely guarantee a few hours sleep? We shall see......

Breakfast was served a couple of hours before we landed at Bangkok. I had the 'continental' ie muesli, fresh fruit salad and small cinnamon Danish pastry with orange juice and coffee.

I am now on the Bangkok-Sydney leg of the journey. I did not get much sleep on the previous leg. Probably dozed off for an hour or so but was always aware of noises etc so didn't get into a deep sleep.

We had about an hour and a half at Bangkok. Enough time to stretch legs. I avoided the shops! The person in the seat next to me is a 'platinum frequent flyer' and has access to First Class Lounges so he invited me as his 'guest' into the Quantas First Class Lounge a Bangkok, and very nice it was too.

It seems a very short day today. I have pre-set my watch to Sydney time and it is 10.35pm already. Soon be time for another go at having a sleep. Dinner first though although I haven't long had breakfast!

I had another glass of champers on arrival in my seat followed by a glass of Chardonnay, and a third glass with my dinner but I still did not sleep much. Dinner was a very tasty Thai lamb dish with rice.

We are due in Sydney in about an hour where I have to catch a connecting flight to Auckland. Luckily my luggage is checked through so I won't have to bother with that and hopefully there will be wifi at Sydney airport to enable me to publish this. I have a 3 hour wait there before my Auckland flight departs.

All in all the journey has passed well. I would have liked more sleep though. I will post again when staying with my friend Carolyn, just outside Auckland.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments: