Sunday 6 March 2011

4th - 6th March

Sunday 6th March
It again started out wet this morning so we drove into Auckland to meet Leigh for lunch. Afterwards, while Terry drove him back home, I visited the Auckland Museum to see an exhibition of Maori Song and Dance. I just love Maori music and dancing.
We then drove through Auckland and out to Mission Bay and St Heliers, two rather upmarket areas on the eastern suburbs of Auckland. I have decided that if ever I come to live in New Zealand (which will never happen unless I win the lotto and can buy a second property to 'winter' to!) Mission Bay is the place I would like to live. Sub tropical, beautiful beach and scenery and close enough to the sights and sounds of Auckland. I wish!!



Saturday 5th March
Unfortunately today dawned very wet and windy, so we met Terry's son, Leigh, at Lopdell House, an Arts Centre in Titirangi. We had lunch there and a quick look around a sculpture exhibition.


We pottered around in the car during the afternoon calling in at Titirangi Beach and French Bay but it was too wet to get out of the car. A quiet evening was spent indoors watching the NZ film 'Boy'.
Another quiet evening spent at Heather and Mike's house.

Friday 4th March
We left New Plymouth at 8am as we had a long drive ahead of us to Titirangi, near Auckland. I drove for the first two hours. I was the one who drew the short straw this time as we started out in heavy rain. I drove over the pass crossing Mount Messenger negotiating steep hills, hairpin bends and sheer drops. It was high and the views were stunning over miles and miles of bushy hills. Then we drove up the Awakino Gorge, following the river between high limestone cliffs covered native trees with the punga fern dominant. We had one coffee stop then arrived in the town of Huntley at 1pm. Terry has a friend who lives there so we stopped at his house for lunch.
We continued up State Highway 1, past Hamilton, and on through south Auckland to Titirangi which is situated in the thickly forested hills above Manukau Harbour. The drive was just over 400 kilomerers. Terry used to live here and we are saying with her ex-neighbours Heather and Mike. I have stayed with them before so it is good to see them again. They have made us very welcome.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments: