Saturday 25 April 2009

Saturday 25th April

Today is ANZAC Day.
We spent the day in Napier - known as The Art Deco City. It is a quite large city and port, situated at the southern end of Hawke Bay on the east coast, and suffered a devastating earthquake in 1931. The city was completely rebuilt in the 1930’s. Art Deco was popular at that time and the buildings echo that style and are really colourful and beautiful.

During the morning we wandered around the streets looking at the pretty buildings. It seems such a shame that the old Art Deco facades have been spoiled by 21st Century shop fronts and large garish signs, but that’s progress I guess and the buildings are, after all, shops and offices. One building in particular caught my eye:
After a snack lunch at our motel unit we went out again in the car to the top of Napier Hill. Before the earthquake this hill was all that there was of Napier and it was an island. The surrounding seabed rose 2-½ metres and allowed Napier to expand and have it’s own airport.

4 comments:

doris said...

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately you joined my Blog after a rather heated discussion as to "why blog". My friend was very negative about it and I was more than a little upset, hence the bit of a rant!! Just thought I had to explain!! Have a super trip and I'll pop back everyone now and then to see how you are getting on! Doris

Jackyfs said...

Mum, my friend Pip runs a farm west of Rotorua if you fancy popping in? I'm sure she'd be happy to put you up
xx

chalkydigit said...

What day this weekend do you get into Auckland? Eeek I haven't got your original emails.... Can you let us know the details. H

Penelope said...

3 days and no blog. Are you missing? Shall we call out the search party?
Is chalkydigit Harvey? xxx.